Saturday, July 25, 2009

Metro grocery store guilty of deceptive packaging practices

The Metro grocery store (formerly LOEB) on March Road in Kanata is guilty of deceptive marketing & packaging practices, resulting in people believing they are receiving more product for their money than they might otherwise think they should be getting.

Here is what happened to me on July 22, 2009. I had breakfast at home that morning, but I was still hungry by the time I got close to where I work, so I detoured to the local Metro grocery store to grab a little something to nibble on, as I need to get a few other things there as well eventually, so I figured that I could do both things at the same place. Consequently, I found myself at the deli counter, looking at the sandwiches and the like. I came across a container with two seafood wraps in it, and that looked like it would be a nice snack to hold me over until lunch. I cheerfully grabbed it and the rest of my items, and cheerfully paid for them and continued to the office to eat this tasty-looking new snack. Here is a picture of what I purchased.

IMG00002-20090722-0823 IMG00001-20090722-0823

This looked pretty tasty to me! I was really looking forward to sinking my teeth into these two wraps. However, when I opened them up, I was greeted with a little surprise of the immorally deceptive kind. Here is what I discovered upon removing the paper surrounding the wraps:

IMG00004-20090722-0824 IMG00003-20090722-0824

As you can see, the scum-suckers at Metro’s deli counter, likely under the direction of management, took a single wrap, cut it in half, and then wrapped each half in such a way as to make it appear as though I was going to be able to purchase two separate wraps. Needless to say, I was most unimpressed. It should also go without saying that I will never purchase another wrap from Metro ever again.

It is bad enough that they feel the need to charge me $0.05 for a frakkin’ plastic bag, but they now feel the need to rip off the customers with the quantity of food they deliver too? I would have had no problem with a single wrap packaged in a single piece of paper, showing me exactly what I was getting. Then, I would have known that there was just one wrap, and I could have made the decision on whether or not I wanted to get one or two of them, based on my appetite at the time. Those scum-sucking frakkers took that choice away from me, and for that, and their disgusting lying ways, I will not easily forgive them. I know times are tough all over, but there is really no excuse for this level of customer abuse!

6 comments:

Someone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That's how you're supposed to do it.
God I hate it when customers jump to conclusions! The clerks arent didn't take that job just so they could piss off customers so stop giving them a hard time for nothing! Metro has a website, complain to the management team, not the part timers.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that's how we do it at Loblaws.

Anonymous said...

OMG I can't believe it. How could they? Like SERIOUSLY. I cannot believe it! Did you notice that their bio degradable garbage bags are incredibly over priced also? Now how deceiving is that. I bought them thinking they were the regular petroleum based kind and I got 20 of these bio bags for like 8 bucks thinking i was getting 420 for 4 dollars. WTF? now thats deceiving in the finest.

Persh

MARTY said...

Metro Kirkland in west end of Montreal are using deceptive practises. Purchased boneless chicken breasts advertised for 6.59 kg however priced at 11.00 kg marked special they said the special breast were not trimmed and in a different container, mean while there were no other breasts on sale. most people would just pick up the over priced ones and not know the difference.

Anonymous said...

Boycott Metro!!!!

Loblaw all the way - Presidents choice rules! Go organic or die

Persh