Sunday, February 12, 2006

I Wanted To Be Wrong

Do you know what bothers me most about the new Prime Minister? I had always distrusted this Conservative from the West. I thought he was a slimy snake from the moment I first heard of him. I'm not even entirely sure why I didn't like him, but I didn't. It could have been because he reminded me of a Bush wannabe. Who knows. I never thought he was fit to run the government, certainly not in the way he claimed he wanted to run it. But you know what? I really, really, wanted to be proven wrong. Never before had I wanted to be wrong about something as much as I wanted to be wrong about Stephen Harper. And in his first week in office, I feel he has proven me right. I desperately wanted to be wrong. But I wasn't. And I am really saddened and disappointed about that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gave him a whole week? Wow... Hope you give everything that much time to mature.

Stephen MacDougall said...

It is not a maturity issue, but rather, and ethical one. Any politician who starts a term in office in a weak ethical position cannot then earn a removal of that lack of ethics from the record.

If I make you a promise to do something if you do something for me, and I then reneg on the promise a week later, are you going to forget that I broke my promise 6 months later when and if I manage to actually follow through with a different promise? Probably not. And it would be wrong of me to expect you to. Just as it would be wrong for Harper to expect forgiveness for immediately becoming the type of politician he always railed against.